Saturday, November 7, 2015

November 7, 2015 - At home

I thought I would share a little bit of information about my mission.

According to Mission.net, the Japan Tokyo mission used to be part of the Tokyo North Mission (1976-2006).  Prior to that it was called...
*the Japan Tokyo Mission (probably with different boundaries)  (1974-76)
*the Japan Mission (1968-74)
*the Northern Far East Mission (1955-68)
*the Japanese Mission (1948-55).

And... prior to that, it was closed between 1924 and 1948.  Since 1948 when the mission was reopened, just under half of the mission Presidents have been Japanese or of Japanese extraction.   The rest look like American-type names.

The current mission president is President Nagano, and his wife, Sister Nagano.  The information sheet says that they formerly lived in the US, although they were both born in Japan.  Sister Nagano was born in Fukushima.  You can bet that the disaster in Fukushima in March 2011 brought quite a bit of personal sorrow to them or to their extended family.

I did not know previously, but Tokyo Japan is the largest city in the world by population number in the city proper (over 13 million), but if you are looking for population density, or total area of the city, or population including the outlying metro areas, there are bigger cities elsewhere.  Nevertheless, it would be easy to get lost in Tokyo.

Here are a few pictures of Tokyo from photographyblogger.net:
My Favorite by Extra Medium

Lovely Ginza by OiMax

Tokyo Tripod by sinkdd

Other than that, I don't know a whole lot about the mission itself yet. It does include some islands.  I do know that they are 16 hours ahead time-wise, and they drive on the left side of the road.  I took 2 years of Japanese in high school, but I have no doubts, that in spite of my interest in the Japanese people and their culture, once I get there, I will be encountering a lot of things new to me, for starters, the food and the money.  I am supposed to take my 4-generation pedigree chart with me.  Japanese people are big on family and ancestry.  It will make good conversation.

Well, that's it for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment