Monday, May 30, 2016

9th Week in Japan -- 1st Area; Overcoming fear

As a missionary, I'm trying my best to overcome my weaknesses and putting everything on the altar (fears, or anything slowing me down from being an instrument in the Lord's hands).  I'm striving daily to be obedient and work hard, but not overwork.  Obedience is about saying, Not my will Lord, but Yours, be done.  I'm running everyday and working out for the full half hour.  I start personal study exactly at 8:00am, so I get the full time allotted for study.  At night, I end prayers by or before 10:30pm so I'm in bed and get the full 8 hours of sleep.  A tired missionary will be less productive and optimistic.  Every thought that I have I'm trying to turn to Jesus Christ and praying always.  I want to be completely clean and pure so that I can see more and more miracles working in myself and in the Japanese people.  

This mission is special.  The people here are special.  I believe by the time I leave my mission or toward the end, baptisms will be more common and the congregational wards will be multiplying and multiplying.  God's work only continues to move forward. (I call it Baptism Boomers. Tokyo mission is the mission of the baptism boomers [like baby boomers in the 1950's... ])   There are many family members here in Japan who need saving. One day Japan will be like Utah (lots of church members).  There are many people in Japan who are sad and hopeless and have no joy in their souls.  It's quite often for people here to not keep in touch with their family.  I'm glad I can email my family every week!   Time goes by so fast for me that it feels almost like I'm writing every other day! 


I can't wait to tell you all the wonderful experiences I have learning from Jesus Christ after my mission!  It's kind of hard to write it all out in one email, haha! 
I know it's a big sacrifice, but everything will be okay, if it doesn't feel like it is now.  God constantly watches over his children and he doesn't forget the faithful ones.  Always look to Heavenly Father, in every action, thought, and deed. When your whole heart sacrifices willingly, whatever the loss is, Heavenly Father gives back 100 fold blessings.   I am grateful for this opportunity to serve the Lord.  

One thing I've learned, and am continuing to learn on my mission is that when you put the Lord first, He puts you first.  You find the fastest and most happiest joy in Jesus Christ, in His ways.  You can truly change into a brand new person: Into the potential being that God wants for you.  Small changes of mind, can cause great changes of heart. 

Alma 37:
6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

..These things confound the wise.  Miracles confound the wise.  The simpleness and boldness of what true disciples of Jesus Christ preach and teach confound the wise.  See also Acts 4:10-13

Thank you for sharing your new wisdom of the references between the Book of Mormon and the Bible. Is it okay if I send you a talk by President Uchtdorf? It's really good, there's a story in there of two Elders.  I read the talk today.  It also mentioned about Peter and his fear and him overcoming it and becoming one of the most faithful disciples to Jesus Christ.  It's really amazing and very insightful. 

[ This talk, given by President Uchtdorf (2nd Counselor in the church Presidency) in June 2014, to the new mission presidents (so you won't find it in the Ensign archives), is called, "Fear Not, I am With Thee."   If you wish to have a transcript of this talk, please email a request to kirstenparkermission@gmail.com ].

So, Sister Riggs as I mentioned earlier got a sudden change in assignment and now is in a different location than I.   I have a new companion, Sister B______ who is great-- She's a really good organizer (this is not my forte, so this is helpful to me).

When Sister Riggs left, we wanted to have a district lunch (district of 4 people だけ) so we got ramen and it was SOOOO GOOD!! It has meat and thick noodles and spices and veggies and other delicious Japan goodies.

Here's a picture: 
  
Ramen lunch with the District


That's it for now.  Sincerely,  Parker, Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment