Monday, October 31, 2016

29th - 31st weeks in Japan; 2nd Area. People, places, fun, and health

October 31, 2016:   Hello wonderful people!

This week was kind of slow, but *Sister Shoji [new Japanese companion] is awesome! I feel like we are similar people.  She's very sweet and patient and mellow.  Sister M______ [one of my favorite female members in Mito] took us to Costco today, and it was like going back to America.  It's so huge, it was way too big!  But we bought lots of food.  I have a strong testimony of prayer and the power that comes from praying with faith.  Faith is things which cannot be seen, but are true.  I will pray about questions so that things are done according to God's will.


The beachside with view of a Torii (shrine gate)




 
Carside view of the trip


* 11/15/2016 update.  I have since gotten permission to give her companion's name and pictures.  Her new companion is Sister Shoji.  I have edited this post, as well as the November 7th letter, now to include pictures of her.   K-Mom.





October 24, 2016:   This week in pictures!

The first and second pictures we are at the honbu after the Elder Bednar conference [For those of you not familiar with Elder David Bednar, he is a leader of high rank in the LDS church. He came to Japan recently.  "Honbu" means central mission office in this context.] I love Sister Alvarenga and Sister Hill! 3rd and 4th pictures are with our investigator, R_____. She will be moving soon and opening her restaurant, so we are also teaching her English! She is so sweet!!   And the video is of Elder King at our Halloween party.  We were playing minute-to-win it games.  We were able to invite many non-members to come to the party and it was a big success!!

             



    






Sister Madsen is transferring to a Portuguese speaking area.  She is excited! She's already fluent in Spanish and has studied a little Portuguese while in Japan.  And I'm staying in Mito and my companion is going to be... Drum roll......🎳 Sister Shoji !!   She is Japanese, so I get a Japanese companion!! Yay!!  I've met her before and she sooo sweet!  Her English is pretty good, but I'm excited to be able to learn lots from her. She's transfer 5, so we have been out about the same amount of time [she has a little less time than me]. Also, our elders will become a trio.  So Elder Newey (from Utah, he's district leader), Elder King (from Australia), and then Elder Sato is being added to Mito.  Elder Sato was my first district leader in Okegawa! 

Today we are going to volunteer at a retirement home where a member lives. In about one hour from now we will be taking a train.


October 17, 2016:  Health

Exodus 20
12 ¶Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.  God has given a commandment to honor our parents and I respect and value your judgment. 

I have been getting up and doing jumping jacks or some exercise like you said I should. Although, almost everyday we are sprinting.  We do running or other workouts in the morning and then during the day we walk and bike, and sprint to appointments because we run late.  I am exercising a lot, but getting up and doing jumping jacks helps more. President Nagano [mission president] has said, and I quote, "Your health is more important than missionary work." He said that. I just want to assure you that they do care.  Without our health it is pretty hard to do missionary work.

[Kirsten's companion mentioned last week that maybe they would go to the park in the a.m. and do tai chi exercise -- so I don't know if that figured in with her picture of the hands with the oriental descriptions.  Kirsten also mentioned that she has a minor physical issue, and so Sister Nagano (the mission president's wife) misunderstood the origin of Kirsten's issue and referred her to a mission doctor-counselor for mental/stress issues, which Kirsten says is still a blessing because the doctor is teaching her stress management.  Stress can always be a contributor to any physical ailment.   The mission staff really does care about the wellbeing of the missionaries.   K-Mom]



This scripture has been on my mind: 

2 Nephi 33: 3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.

4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal."

I pray for you all that you may be able to always have joy by holding on to the iron rod, which is the words of Christ.


Until next time, Parker Shimai

Sent from the white fields of Japan 🍲🌅

No comments:

Post a Comment