Friday, November 11, 2016

32nd week in Japan; 2nd Area; The Holy Spirit works with people. Coincidences sometimes are miracles.

November 7, 2016

I hope you know that I am trying my hardest to be obedient to the Lord.  There are many rules for a missionary, and I am following all of them the best I can.  I talk to everyone with my companion on the streets testifying of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon and things like that, and invite them to learn more.  Often I try to be friendly and compliment their clothes and ask about where they live or what they do and then introduce my companion and me.  There are many people interested, and I know they can feel the Holy Spirit but they don't recognize it, so they do not become investigators.  But someday, they will meet missionaries again and they will be ready by then.  There was actually a time that Sister Madsen (my previous companion who I trained) and I were biking back to church and we were in a hurry, but Sister Madsen said, "stop that lady!" I was thinking about why she said that, and when I looked at the lady's eyes I immediately felt we needed to stop her.  She was interested in the gospel, but lived in Nagoya, so we had to refer her to that mission area, nevertheless, it was amazing!  

And then the next person that we spoke to, spoke English and went to church in Europe.  I asked why she wanted to learn about Jesus Christ and she said, "It just feels good, I just feel that I want to learn it." I explained to her that we look for those people that have those feelings and we teach them about Jesus Christ.  She came to church a couple weeks later and she loved church.  We gave her a Book of Mormon and she said she'd read it and wanted to learn.  We figured out that she lives in a different area, right next to the LDS church building, but she came all the way to Mito (it took over an hour on the train) to come to church.  I think she is still investigating the church in Tsukuba area.


During recent missionary exchanges, Sister Nicholes and I had some appointments fall through, but it was such a great day!  One of the lessons we taught, was with one less-active (less actively attending member).  We called her and asked if we could visit her, but she said it wasn't a good time.  So we shared a message on the phone about Alma 5:60  and it was really good. 

60 And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you; and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his fold, and ye are his sheep; and he commandeth you that ye suffer no ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed.

After we said goodbye, she called us back immediately and said we could come over and that her daughter wanted to meet us.  We told this story that connected well to repentance and they understood it very well.  Her daughter is currently suffering through some things and becoming less-active but she had many questions and both the mom and her were engaged in the lesson.  I felt a lot of joy during that lesson and I was so happy the Spirit was there to help us.  I just felt peace and it felt like we were experiencing a bit of heaven.

Also, our investigator R_____-san came to church on Sunday finally!  I was actually fasting for her that day, hoping that she may be blessed with the desire to be baptized.  During Sunday school, we watched the 20 minute Restoration of the gospel video (in Korean for her!) and she really liked it.  The Sunday school teacher, Brother H_____, asked her how she felt about the video and she said she thinks it may be really true!  She said she felt emotional and understood Joseph Smith very well and how he was searching and searching for an answer to his spiritual questions.  That night, we had a lesson with her friend and we taught the beginning part of the Restoration pamphlet and we were going to ask her to be baptized, but we ran out of time. We are going to try Tuesday! Please pray for R_____!

I want to tell you of an experience I had yesterday and today.
So Sister St_____ (Australian member in this Ward who was a missionary in the Sendai and Tokyo mission), went to America, to Utah last week.  Her former MTC companion was getting married and she met her former mission president at her wedding!  He was a YSA (Young Single Adult) Stake President [administering over several congregations] over a woman named JS who lives in Japan now.  He asked her to find her, if she could.  So Sister St______ looks her up on Facebook and finds her and she works at a nearby high school!!  Literally a four minute walk.  So yesterday, on Sunday she is bearing testimony of the gospel and she shares this experience and how God works miracles and says in the microphone, "Where's the shimaitachi.  [Sisters].  Ah ha, yes!  You there in the back!   Tomorrow we are going to visit this less-active!!  K cool cheers! Thanks!"  
And today we visited her.  Sister St______  went in the high school during their lunchtime and brought her outside as we waited (a little odd for missionaries to go in, so we waited outside) and we met her! She hasn't been to church for 5 years and is not teaching English in Japan!  We got her number and told her the story and how amazing it is God is reaching out and she was grateful!! She said that her mom gave her the address of the church so she could go to it, but she forgot about it. We invited her to English class and Christmas party and she is probably going to come!!  We told her about how Sister Shoji [my new companion]  and I were on the train the other day talking to some high school students.  When I told them I was from Utah, one of them freaked out a bit and said that their teacher is from Utah, Miss JS という先生。(A teacher who is called). 
God works miracles everyday and he does reach out to all his children everyday.

My new companion, Sister Shoji is great! She laughs at my dumb jokes, even if she doesn't understand them.  But I can't tell when she doesn't, so I try to explain it in Japanese. 

Here are a couple of pictures of the inside of our apartment.

  



Sister Shoji, in the apartment kitchen


Until next time,

Parker Shimai

Sent from the white fields of Japan 🍲🌅

("For the fields are white, ready to harvest")

Picture is from internet, showing wheat.  The color is light, almost white when it is ready to harvest.


No comments:

Post a Comment